"How's Samuel?" She asked trying not to get bogged down in discussing costumes with her mother.
"He's the same as always. Goes out, messes around in the garden, finds activities to keep him busy."
She nodded. "Is he out there now ?"
"Yes," her mother said.
She nodded again. "Mom, are you happy?"
"Define 'happy', sweetie."
"Typical lawyer answer!" She thought. "Ugh!!" She smiled through it. "Being in a state where you enjoy the day to day activities you're involved with."
Her mother shrugged.
"Maybe I got it from both of them!" She thought.
"Sweetie, I think I'm happy. Samuel is a good companion. I still work a few days a week. We have the vacation homes. In my free time I can keep a perfect home." She ran her fingers over the pristine white coach and massaged the shag carpet with her toes, also white.
"Mom, I'm glad." She smiled. Looking around, she realized how white the living room was. "So Samuel has been a good replacement for dad?"
Her mom laughed. "He's present a lot more often than your father."
She nodded.
"It was always hard with him being gone so much. I had my practice of course, then when we had you, he stayed on the road doing his consultant work. I told him I made enough to support us, but he had this need to travel, to be gone."
"But he always called and sent letters."
Her mother shrugged. "He did okay with that. The letters weren't something he did. I did those so you would know he was thinking about you. He did call though, about once a week. I loved that man a really long time."
Her ears perked up. "I think I hear Samuel, does he need any help coming in?"
Her mother got up. "I'll get the door for him."
She looked down at her phone. An email from a craft store touting 30% off fabric. She got thinking about capes, despite her mother thinking they were unflattering. "Maybe they would have something that would work." She thought. Piecing together an idea for a cape that she could super heat the air beneath it allowing her to float. "Wouldn't it combust? Or melt?" She thought more.
"Samuel, No!" She heard her mother yell. In the next moment, a black Scottie dog came racing into the living room, covered in dirt and mud. He jumped all over the couch and licked her face. She laughed and petted him. "Down, Samuel." She whispered.
"Samuel, no, let's got get you washed up." Her mother came back into the living room. "Fortunately the maid will be in later."
No comments:
Post a Comment