Friday, January 9, 2015

The witch doctor chased after them. "Wait up!" He called. They kept walking, or floating in the of her dad. He saw them turn to look at each other something was said he couldn't hear. She turned back to the front but her father's head continued to turn the other 90 degrees. He stuck out a ghostly tongue.
He looked at them as he slowed for a moment. She looked just like the videos, always walking away. He smirked at his though "the camera didn't add ten pounds at all."
She turned then hands on hips.
"Oh hell," he thought, "I wonder if she can hear me."
"Very loudly in my head. Now, let's get something straight, I'm not interested in dating a bum in a glow in the dark cape."
He nodded. "Sorry."
"Better," she said. "You said in my dream you could help me. None of that destiny crap, I don't want to hear it. I'm not Frodo or any of those other characters destined for a quest. I'm not doing it."
He nodded again.
"I'll assist the police when I am available."
He shrugged at that. Clearly not much of a law abiding citizen.
"I have classes to get back to tomorrow, so I need you to tell me what I actually need to know and none of this sorcerer business where you shroud things in mystery."
He nodded.
"Well?"
"The orb that was given to you was acquired through unsavory means. The original bearer met an unfortunate end." He looked suspiciously at her father.
He looked away disinterested.
"The order of monks who protect the orbs tell of things not of this plane coming to steal the orbs. The orb you possess was actually stolen from one of those beings."
She wrinkled her nose, "Like Cthulhu or something?"
"I don't know, I only know of that stories. The beings are never named."
"So you think my father died, went to this other plane, snuffed the demon or whatever and stole the orb to give me powers?"
He nodded, his dreadlocks bouncing.
She smiled. "And?"
"Well that's it."
"I'm not returning it to the monks."
"Agreed." Her father chimed in.
"That's fair." The witch doctor said. "You just have to be wary in case someone comes for it."
"Really? It's part of my though, it's not like it's a brooch or a wrist watch."
"Truly." The witch doctor said. "But something may come after you."
"Like you?"
He nodded.
"I'll turn them to a pile of ash." She grinned. "Or a pillar of ice!"
Her father laughed.
The witch doctor was not amused. "Let me at least watch over you."
"When I'm awake, none of that creepy dream stuff."
The dreads bobbed as he assented. "Can you fly?" He asked off-handedly.
She looked down, maybe blushed slightly. "No, not part of my skill set."
"Hmm, seems like you should be able to heat the water droplets in the air enough that you'd be able to float on them." The witch doctor knew his thermal dynamics.
"That would take extreme concentration." She said. "Besides I can barely stay awake without several cups of coffee."
"Maybe you'll learn the secret one day." He pulled out a doll, it looked sort of like her. He handed it to her.
"Aren't you a little old to play with dolls?" Her father quipped.
She stared at the doll. It looked typical voodoo doll style with red pants, a black t-shirt and hair matching the color of her own.
"What does it do?" She asked.
The witch doctor waved his hands over the doll which began to float. She felt herself lifting off the ground as well.
He slammed his hand down on the doll which flattened her to the ground. He then kicked it's legs and she kicked hers.
"Too much power for you, slick." She held the doll away from him.
He laughed, shaking his dreadlocked head from side to side. "It's how I contacted you. It only has that much power when it's close to you. If it were in a different city you would barely be affe ed at all!"
"Note to self: visit Cape Canaveral and send this thing into orbit around Jupiter." She said, looking at her doll self.

No comments:

Post a Comment